Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/95/3763495/html/EIOH/Forum/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Flood protection for St. Tammany & Hurricane Forecasts

Author Topic: Flood protection for St. Tammany & Hurricane Forecasts  (Read 3249 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Flood protection for St. Tammany & Hurricane Forecasts
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:55:41 PM »
Flood Protection for St. Tammany - See the website for current efforts in flood control.
    www.FloodProtectionForStTammany.com

See old article proving that floodgates at Rigolets & Chef are nothing new http://216.87.191.15/News/Louisiana/Government/Louisiana_Lake_Pontchartrain_Floodgates_When__7474.asp

http://97.74.65.51/Printable.aspx?ArtId=7322

Another opinion - what do you think?
    http://saveourwetlands.org/edenislehistory.htm

Extended range Hurricane Forecast (Dr. Gray & company)
http://typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu/forecasts/

FOR EVEN MORE INFO go to www.eihoa.org and click on "Publications", then on "Flood Issues"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 10:52:44 PM by Administrator »

retired63

• View Profile
Re: Flood protection for St. Tammany & Hurricane Forecasts
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »
Rigoletts Estates, Treasure Isle, Lakeshore Estates, Eden Isles Clipper Estates and North Shore Beach among others have been left out of any flood protection paln. Further with the construction of the new leve along the Schnider canal these areas will be exposed to increased tidal and storm surge. This will result from water piling up against this new leve. I urge all affected to contact their political representives and let them know if you disaprove.

end user

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
(A note received from John Faust on 5-19-2010)

I plan to attend the (hwy.11) meeting on Thursday.

I would like to propose to use the median as a flood control device. If we were to connect this median to one created along Lakeview drive it would be the first leg in protecting us from storm surge.

A small lock system would have to be built at the breakwater to Eden Isles and a raised portion to the Torres levee system.

Although this protection will not include all of Slidell, it would protect us (Eden Isles) from the surge effects caused by the Schneider canal project.

This would be a win- win for the Parish gov. The parish is putting themselves in a situation were our community residents and businesses owners will have no choice but to oppose the current flood protection project.

Much of the cost will be handled through the Highway project funds. It would also reduce much of the controversy caused by the Corps projects. To this date the Corps has not addressed all the questions I posed to them in regards to new and old flood projects to our west. I would hope we would have some of the Parish elected officials at the meeting.

John Faust

Right Angle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:09:16 AM »
Itís hard to suppress my anger when I continue to read about how much progress is being made to protect the region from another Katrina.  The Times-Picayune article on May30, 2010, stated that, ďMore than $1.1 billion worth of construction on the levee system that rings the New Orleans region is finished and an additional $5.8 billion under wayĒ.  Thatís a total of $6.9 billion for storm surge protection and not one penny has been or will be spent to protect St. Tammany Parrish.  Does anyone know or even care that a 16 foot tidal surge swept through St. Tammany on August 29, 2005, destroying everything in its path?

St. Tammany has no representation on the Southeast Louisiana Protection Authority, as a result we have been left out of storm surge planning and funding.  If we had a voice on the board, perhaps someone would have recognized that the money would have been better spent to keep the water out of the lake rather than to deal with it after the fact. 

The current levee and gate projects along the Orleans and Jefferson lakefront are not only destroying the aesthetic beauty of the lake they are also forcing more storm surge into St. Tammany.  Itís reprehensible how St. Tammany is being disregarded and sacrificed.  Shame on our parish president, shame on our governor, shame on our state and federal representatives, shame on the Southeast Louisiana Protection Authority, shame on the Corps of Engineers and shame on us for allowing the next Katrina to destroy St. Tammany Parrish!

Lee Longstreet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »
Look at a solutions oriented project to help with flood protection for St. Tammany. 

We all need to support proactive ideas.

Click here for the video -> http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Landrieu-Davis-looking-for-approval-of-Lake-Borgne-oil-protection-plan-94967804.html

end user

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »
Found a link that is starting to tell a story we all need to be aware of.

-   www.eihoa.org/Flood/FloodIssues.htm